Dear readers,
this is a personal blog. Everything stated/written here represent my own. My blog might not be as interesting as yours. You might not understand some of the post due to its blurry content and the writer herself:) I write things that i feel the need to share with others. Do show some respect.Thank you;)


Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Why is the pronoun 'I' not 'i'??"

This article really caught my attention.Was taken from Star Two dated on 29th October.
"Why is the pronoun 'I' not 'i'??"

Why do we capitalize the word "I"?There is no grammatical reason for doing so,and oddly enough,the majuscule "I" appears only in English.

The supposedly snobbish French leave all personal pronouns in the assuming lower-case,and Germans respectfully capitalize the formal "you" and even,occasionally,the informal form of "you",but would never capitalize "I".

These words shore up the towering single letter that signifies us as a discrete beings and connote confidence,dominance and the ambition to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps.

"I" were spoken pronouns,but,of course,our understanding and use of language is informed by the printed word.

Its impossible to know,but perhaps our individualistic,workaholic society would be more rooted in community and quality and less focused on money and success if we each thought ourselves as a small "i" with a sweet little dot.

Therefore dear friends,lower-case "i" resemble our humbleness and blaaa im soo not in a mood to write.haih.headache.

gudnite.




.look.listen.learn.live.love.

No comments: